Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

My Husband: The Zen Master

Myron is currently in the hospital in Taiwan for a flare-up of colitis.  There's a lot that I could blog about, such as the differences in health care in Taiwan and the U.S.,  the fact that he does seem to be receiving good care, or the challenges of overcoming language barriers in the hospital. 

However, my husband himself has inspired this particular blog entry.  I am an absolute basket case-  stressed out and a worried mess.  Meanwhile, he the patient, has reached as he puts it-  "a zen-like state".  He shared with me his recipe for reaching this zen-like state, and I thought I would record what he had to say for prosperity. 

Here is his 3 step plan: 

1).  Accept the situation.  Accept reality.  Accept your limitations.  Accept the fact that there are things that you can not control no matter how much you wish you could.  Accept that what is, is. 

2).  Live in the moment.  In this exact moment.  Notice the sun shining through your window.  Enjoy the "flavorful" rice soup that you are partaking in for dinner.  Smell the flowers the KAS staff sent.  Let your senses enjoy all of the wonders in this moment. 

3).  Be grateful.  Be thankful for the care that you are receiving.  Be thankful for the support from a far and from close by.  Be grateful for all that do have in this moment, instead of dwelling on how things could be better or different. 

There you go-  words to live by.  I love you,  Myron.  You are so wise, so calm, and so strong, and these are inspired words.

I am still freaking out. But I have married a brave and smart man.  Get better, my love, and come home.  I miss you. 

And you, the reader,  if you and your loved ones have their health, whatever else your current situation,  just stop and give a moment of thanks.  And for those of you struggling with your health or in the midst of being a care-taker-  I hope my husband's words of wisdom offer some solace. 

1 comment:

Amy said...

At least his hospital outfit looks pretty comfy.... I've been thinking about you guys!