Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Double Date

Sunday night we had a double date.  I feel like this is fairly new territory for us.  Oh, sure, we have been out on several double dates before this-  but mostly with people that Myron or I knew before we met.  In other words, for example, Myron and I hanging out with my friend and her boyfriend.  
This, on the other hand, is something new.   While I have figured out the art of making friends on my own,  how do you make friends as a couple?  It seems to be quite challenging.   First,  you have to meet a couple where you both like both other people- for some reason, this is not an easy task. 
Then, you have to arrange a time for everyone to hang out.  Then, afterwards, you have to conference with your significant other, decide how it went, and see if you both would like to go out again.  It seems it can be easy to have some quite different perspectives about how it went.  Then, if you want to go out again, you have to hope that the other couple also had fun, and wants to go out too.  I swear, it is like dating all over again.

Here were some of our funnier conversations in regards to this double date.
In terms of the invite, Myron and I had the following discussion:
Me: I would like to go to dinner with them, but I am scared of being rejected.
Myron:  I think they were giving us all the right signals.  They were talking about how we should get together some time. 
Me:  Yeah, that's true, but I don't know, what if we misread them.  
Myron:  Well, we will never know unless we put ourselves out there.  

Then, here is our conversation on our way to the date:
Me:  I am really nervous.  
Myron:  You need to relax.  We just need to be ourselves.   We don't want to come off as too needy. 

After the date:  
Me:  Well, that went well.
Myron:  Yeah, it was good. 
Me:  Well, so now what? 
Myron:  Now, the ball is in their court.  Now it's their turn to ask us out.  Now we just wait. 

Hilarious!  We sound like 15 year-olds back out on our first date.  But seriously,  finding couple friends is hard in your 30's.   Especially when you are in a new place.  And there does seem to be a whole set of potential rules that we just don't know yet-  such as which member of the couple asks which other member of the couple out?  Are all four people supposed to talk to all four people at dinner?  Or are the ladies just supposed to talk while the guys talk?   How do you know if the date was successful?  And why is it so complicated and so difficult to meet another dating or married couple that we both get along with?  Is the best thing to do is just to throw in the towel and Myron has his buddies and I have mine and never the twain shall meet?  
Comments?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?  

 






No comments: